Monday, November 22, 2010

I've watched you...

Kaci Jade...I have sat back this short 18 months and just watched you. I have watched in amazement at the things you do and learn each day. I have watched you learn to say new words like "Mama", "Dada, "MiMi", "Cat", "Dog, and your personal favorite "No". You say so much I can't keep track of it all. I have watched you learn to crawl when I expected you to never do it. I thought you would never crawl but you surprised us all by taking off overnight without little practice. I have watched you learn to walk...literally you took off like you had been doing it for years. I have watched you go from sleeping in the bed with mommy and daddy and sometimes MiMi to sleeping in your big girl bed...Of course you didn't want a crib you wanted an actual toddler bed. My big big girl. I have watched you go through your very first Christmas. You were so good when you had your picture taken with Santa. You weren't scared at all. I have watched you learn to dance...and you haven't stopped since. I have watched you learn to sit up on your own...and boy did you love doing that. You used to love sitting in your bumbo seat (when you could fit in it...your butt got big fast so that didn't last as long as you wanted it to) and watch tv. I watched you learn to eat baby food. Your favorite was sweet potatoes but you also loved squash and bananas. I have watched you learn to roll over for the first time when,like everything else you did, I thought you weren't going to do and all of the sudden you decided to do it. I have watched you laugh for the first time...and from that moment up until now that moment was in close line with the first time you said "Mama" for my favorite moment ever. Your laugh and your voice are the sweetest sounds I have ever heard.

I have watched you suffer...something a parent should never have to see their child go through. The moment I found out that something was wrong and you would need surgery...my heart sank. I have never in my life felt so much heartache than in the day I found out and the days and weeks thereafter that I had to leave you in the NICU and didn't get to take you home. Leaving the hospital without your child...is the worst feeling in the entire world. Hearing the doctors tell you that they just don't know if you will make it until they actually do the surgery because your bowel could be to far gone for them to save...was WAY to much to bear. Then...I watched you shock the doctors one by one. They were sure that you were going to lose some if not all of your intestines. And to their amazement my little angel...you lost ZERO ! Your bowel was perfect! I'll never forget the doctor looking at me and saying that this was a miracle. He said it was just amazing that you had lost none. He does that surgery alot and she said that most children lose at least a little but not you...my baby you are a miracle. I have watched you make this world a much better place to be in. You bring so much joy and life into this sometimes ugly place and you just make each day brighter with your beautiful smile. You can brighten even the worst of days. Kaci I don't know what provoked me to write this but I guess I just wanted you to know how much I love you. I want you to look back on this and know that you are the best thing to ever happen to me. I love you so much Kaci...always and forever !

No comments: